Tuesday 16 October 2007

WPF & Silverlight Presentation

Tonight I went to a .NET Developer Network presentation on WPF and Silverlight. Oliver Sturm did a fantastic job of presenting. He certainly knows his stuff.

It seems to me that Silverlight is still a little way off from replacing AJAX as the rich client of choice on web browser. I'm convinced it will get there though, probably starting with Silverlight the the release after version 1.1. At the moment you have to reply on 3rd Party WPF controls, as MS don't ship any! I can't wait for the day when I don't have to write anymore JavaScript!

WPF as a replacement to WinForms looks ready to go. I was very impressed at how easy it is to write forms that will scale properly at different screen resolutions. The data binding also sounds good... but I've heard that one from MS too many times before!

To cap off a good night I managed to win a pair of MS socks. A couple of developers were waiting to jump me outside but I managed to give them the slip :-) Still, they'll probably work better than the free copy of Vista Ultimate someone managed to bag.

I genuienly feel inspired to start using WPF ASAP.

PS Thank god for Sky+... as I didn't even miss Spooks.

No comments: