Wednesday 9 October 2013

Move from iGoogle to Netvibes

Still annoyed at Google for switching off iGoogle at the end of the month.  So much for their, "Don't be evil," motto! I have however found a good alternative after a brief flirtation with Protopage.com!

Netvibes.com is good (so far) and has allowed me to replicate my iGoogle page (that I spent years refining) in the space of a few hours.  Most of it was set up pretty quickly after following some instructions on the Netvibes blog (http://blog.netvibes.com/from-igoogle-to-netvibes-in-3-easy-steps/).  Note:  I had to manually edit the OPML XML file to remove non-RSS feeds to get it to work properly.  If you can't do this you'll need to remove them from your iGoogle pages before you export.

I've managed to get Gmail and Google Calendar working relatively quickly.  The thing that took the time was trying to replicate Google Finance.  Unfortunately I couldn't link in my Google Finance portfolio, but have found a reasonable stock widget called, "StockWidgets."  Its not as good as google's offering, but if you add a bookmark to your page to Google Fiance you can get there quickly anyway.

You'll probably need to set up 2 step verification to get Gmail working, luckily I'd already been down that route with Protopage.

So, if you need an alternative to iGoogle then I think Netvibes is the way to go!

No comments: